Wednesday, September 17, 2008

PopFUZE #40



Rob Liefeld cites this cover mock up as proof that the long awaited remastered edition of the mini series that includes Image's first million selling comic is on the way. I can't wait to get my hands on this baby, even at an inflated price thanks to the crash of the Australian dollar against the Green Back!

Firstly, the series has been re-scripted by uber talented scribe Joe Casey. As much as I love the early issues of Youngblood they are not noted as brilliant examples of late 20th century literature.

Secondly, the series has been re-colored with today's coloring technology. Now, this is what I call re-mastered! Rob's style has morphed since the early years of Image and I prefer the more detailed work that started to come from Rob's pencils from about 1994, but his early Image work looks awesome given a modern coloring touch up.

Youngblood redefined comics in the early 90s and it looks set to do so again!



This second pic is, I think, from Image United which is due out in 2009. I have often said that I prefer the raw energy that comes through when Rob's art is colored straight from the pencils, but boy does his line work look sweet with these inks! If this is from Image United, then I think it is Rob inking Rob (which would be kind of annoying seeing as how you would essentially have to draw every page/ image twice). Actually, I am not very good at picking out inking styles, so if this is someone else inking over Rob's pencils, I wouldn't know it. None-the-less, it's a beautiful image and an intriguing preview!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Clicky Web Analytics