Tuesday, April 29, 2008

DragonFUZE #14

I sent off the full I Hate You pitch to the anthology editor tonight. I feel really good about this story. This is the first time in the 11 years that I have been working towards writing comics (I can't believe it has been that long) that I feel as though I am really pushing myself into new territory. I Hate You is fictional, but not fantastic fiction; there are no dragons or robots, there is no magic or enhanced technology, there is no genetic mutations or super powers in this story. I Hate You is raw and it is real and it is solid, dark and painful human emotion.

I feel quite liberated by this story, despite its intense melancholy and stark violence. I don't feel that I prove anything by writing about mythical demons, but when I write about a girl and her tangible, personal demons; that resonates with me. Without going into details here, I have been to some dark places in my life and I have stared death in the face too many times. I understand Deborah (the story's main character) and the emotions that consume her because, while the way I acted is very different to the steps Deborah takes in this story, I have been to that terrible place.

Much of my writing is dark, melancholic and, even, depressive. Whatever a writer writes comes from within. I may not be thrilled that this stain is still there on my soul during what will be the happiest years of my life, but the fact is that there is no wonder product that can wash this mark out of my heart.

Writing can help though. As with HellGrunt I am somewhat disturbed by where I Hate You is taking me, but I am inspired by the opportunity to take this journey.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Clicky Web Analytics